Just as we know and care about the expiration date of food, we need to know the expiration date of cosmetic products as they do expire as well. Yes, you’ve read that right! And, in today’s article, that’s exactly what we will learn more about.
The duration of cosmetics is indicated on the packaging and can be specified in two ways:
– With an expiration date. These are products whose shelf life depends on the ingredients, such as natural cosmetics.
– With a fixed duration in months or years. These are products that start counting their useful life from the moment we open the product.
What Are the Risks of Using Expired Cosmetic Products?
If we use a product after its expiration date, we may not suffer any reaction at first. But we may later suffer from irritation, sunburn in the case of sunscreen products, dermatitis … For these reasons, it is important to know the expiration date of cosmetics.
It is also possible that they are no longer as effective, we will notice this more in treatment products such as anti-cellulite creams. If they are products that are in contact with the eyes (such as mascara, eyeliner …) and we have experienced an infection such as conjunctivitis, it is essential to get rid of the product.
Even if it seems to be in good condition, it can be contaminated and reinfect us after a new use.
TIP: If we do not remember how long ago we opened a product, there are “symptoms” that help us to recognize that they are expired cosmetics or in bad condition, such as changes in texture, aroma, and color.
To avoid mistakes in this regard, we can note the opening date written somewhere on the product or put a sticker on it.
Why Do Beauty Products Expire?
Natural or organic formulations are generally more sensitive than conventional cosmetics, so they do not last as long once opened. This is due to their composition, since in many cases they do not contain preservatives.
To find out the expiration date of cosmetics that are not natural, we will start by counting the time elapsed since the opening of the product. Indeed, once opened, it comes into contact with the environment and may suffer microbiological contamination, alter its components or cause allergies.
What Is the Expiration Date of Cosmetics?
As a general rule, the expiration date of cosmetics is as follows:
– Concealer: 12 months.
– Liquid foundation: 12 months if it is very oily, and up to 18 months if it is not very oily.
– Face powder: 2 years.
– Blush: powder 2 years, and cream 12 months.
– Lipstick: 12 to 24 months depending on the degree of oiliness.
– Pencils: 2 years.
– Eyeshadow: 2 years.
– Mask: 3 to 6 months.
– Nail polish: 12 months.
– Moisturizing face cream: 12 months.
– Moisturizing body cream: 12 months.
– Eye contour: 6 to 12 months.
– Make-up remover: from 6 to 12 months.
– Shampoo and bath gel: 12 to 18 months.
– Sunscreens: 12 months.
It is important to keep these dates in mind in order to avoid using expired cosmetics and to take full advantage of their properties without risk.
What Can We Do To Make Them Last Longer?
The expiration of cosmetics can be reduced if we do not store them properly.
To make them last as long as possible in good condition, we can use some tips.
– Do not leave them exposed to very high or very low temperatures.
– Wash your hands well before using them so as not to contaminate them.
– If possible, use a clean spatula to avoid touching the whole product directly with your hands.
– Avoid exposure to sunlight.
– Close containers tightly.
– Note the date of opening.
Remember that the expiration date of cosmetics and their proper use depends on the health of your skin. Let’s be responsible and take care of our skin! Did you use an expired beauty products before and had a reaction? Share your experience with us in the comments below.