What is the most common answer obtained when most celebrities are questioned about the secret behind their glowing and elegant skin? Healthy food!
Therefore, today’s article focuses on some top foods that you should eat or avoid if you want a gorgeous skin.
What To Eat?
Originating from Southern Africa, this sweet and refreshing low-calorie summer snack is known across the world. With more than 1,000 varieties, the watermelon is usually red on the inside, but some can also consist of orange, yellow or even white flesh. Culturally speaking, they are often consumed during the Vietnamese New Year’s holiday and also during the Chinese New Year’s celebrations.
Now, let’s talk about the benefits of watermelon for the skin.
- Rich in fibers and obviously filled with 92 % of water, this red ball of refreshment can lead to hydrated, soft and supple skin.
- Packed with vitamin C, it can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. In addition, it helps your body to use non-heme iron, which can ensure that sufficient iron is present in your red blood cells so as to assist in carrying oxygen to your hair.
- The vitamin A and B present in watermelons contributes to an even skin texture.
- Our bodies are filled with free radicals that can damage cells and contribute to aging skin. However, did you know that watermelons consist of Lycopene, which can act as a free radical scavenger and prevent tissue damage in your skin?
- Another skin problem is when sebaceous glands secrete too much oil that leads to oily skin, as mentioned in one of the previous blog articles. However, as watermelons are loaded with vitamin A, they can help to reduce the skin pore and size and also the amount of oil that sebaceous glands tend to secrete.
- Moreover, watermelons are considered as natural skin toners that can refresh the skin and make it look younger.
How to include watermelons in your diet:
- You can drink watermelon juice in the morning or consume it instead of an evening snack.
- You can also add freshly cut watermelon to your salads and smoothies.
Now, especially for oily skin, here is a tip on how you can use watermelon for your advantage:
- You start by mixing 3 tablespoons of watermelon juice, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of fuller’s earth. Adding a teaspoon of rose water is optional. Then, apply the mixture to your skin and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Once it dries, rinse off with cold water.
Who knew that salmon could contribute to healthy and glowing skin?
Well, salmon is filled with anti-inflammatory elements and it is also very high in omega-3 fatty acids. Besides, it can make your skin look healthier as it also consists of dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) which is known to protect the integrity of cell membranes. And, let me give you another good news: the omega-3 in the skin of salmon can help to reduce acne and keep your skin supple.
Don’t underestimate blueberries just because of their tiny size. Instead, these summer berries that are widely eaten in the United States are among the first foods to be titled a “superfood.” These sweet and plump berries are high in anthocyanin and can naturally boost collagen production. As they are filled with antioxidants, blueberries can protect the cells from damage that can be caused by free radicals.
Furthermore, it is noted that high amounts of vitamins C and K can help to support skin wound healing.
What To Avoid?
I know that chips are very tasty, always tempting and everyone loves them. But, did you know that these chips can be very harmful to your skin? As they contain a huge amount of salt, they can cause skin inflammation. So, my dear friends, next time you decide to have a huge bag of chips only for yourself, just remember how unhealthy it is for your skin.
Despite how delicious sweets can be, an excessive consumption can contribute to acne and can also take away the natural glow of your skin.
Will you start consuming more watermelons and blueberries? Will you try to stay away from chips and sweets? Please share your comments!