Everyone dreams of losing weight, and yet no one wants to go to the gym. Well, to be honest, I am also part of this evil web! Losing weight can feel more like an uphill battle than a simple equation. Sticking to a conventional diet and exercise plan might not be everyone’s cup of tea, while some people who are perfectly suited to the gym life and some who can’t even bear going to the gym. So if you are someone who doesn’t like going to the gym but wants to lose weight, then here are ten ways you can do it.
1. Make your work-out session fun – Spending hours and hours pounding on the treadmill might not be your definition of the word fun, but remember, exercise does not have to be boring. There are plenty of fun activities to improve your fitness that you can get involved in without it feeling like a terrible decision. If you want to tone your waist down, then go for a dance class or try working out a hula hoop. If you hate training indoors, then go outside or go running or mountain hiking. Get adventurous with your exercise, it will keep you motivated, and you will stay on track with your fitness goals.
2. Load up the veggies and fruits – Vegetables and fruits are naturally low in calories and high in fiber, which makes them the perfect weight-loss food. They are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to help your body function at its best and fight inflammation. Try to add at least one serving of vegetables into two meals every day, and if you are up for the challenge, then strive to fill half of your plate with veggies and fruits at every meal.
3. Stop avoiding fat – In the 90s, most people were concerned about the fat content in every food they consumed, and some people still are counting for the amount of fat they consume. Well, foods containing fats are okay as long as the fats that you are eating are coming from nuts, seeds, oils, and fatty fish. Then it’s okay. Eating fat from whole and healthy sources is linked to weight loss and weight gain, as presumed by most people. Low-fat diets are less effective than higher-fat ones.
4. Eat plenty of protein – Protein has powerful effects on appetite. It can increase the feeling of fullness, reduce hunger, and help you eat fewer calories. Well, protein affects several hormones that play a role in hunger and fullness, including ghrelin and GLP -1. According to a study, increasing protein intake from 15% to 30% of calories helped participants eat fewer calories per day and lose 11 pounds over 12 weeks without any intentionally restricting any foods.
5. Replace white carbs with whole grains – The only good thing that white pasta, bread, and rice offer us is good taste and nothing else! Whole grains are even more delicious. Whole grains are so much more healthful than white refined grains since they are packed with protein, fiber, B vitamins, and fiber for a sneaky super-food. The combination of protein-fiber helps to keep you fuller for longer and slows down digestion, so you don’t have to crash an hour later. Yes, eat more carbs to slim down!
6. Be active whenever you can – Rather than thinking that the only way you can improve your fitness is by going to the gym, try to change your lifestyle and be more active whenever you can. Increase your baseline physical activity in your daily life. It will have a massive impact on your fitness. One way is to park your car a little further from work and walk up and down the stairs. Do regular chores around the house, take the stairs over the lift, and if you work in an office, then get up and deliver a message to a college in person rather than sending an email.
7. Do yoga – Are you looking for an exercise that helps you slim down and tone your body? Well, yoga could be the perfect option that you can complete without having to go to the gym. If you are new to yoga, it might be worth taking a few classes so that you can master each technique and form. Once you are confident, then you can start your yoga at home itself. You will improve your flexibility and strength as well as lowers your stress levels and improves your mood. Try to practice yoga three or four times a week for the best fitness results.
8. Eat without electronic distractions – Paying attention to what you eat may help you consume fewer calories. People who eat while watching TV or playing computer games may lose track of how much they have eaten, thus causing overeating. Absent-mindedness during a meal has an even greater influence on your intake later in the day. So, next time you better avoid electronic devices around the dining table.
9. Treat yourself once a week – Many diet and fitness plans are strict throughout the week and add all of this on top of your 9-5 routine, it’s a wonder that so many people throw all of their hard work out of the window when the weekend arrives. It is better to eat reasonably healthy across seven days than it is to eat extremely healthy over five days and eat junk food during the weekend. Allow yourself an occasional treat during the week. It will help you avoid the temptation to binge.
10. Get a good night’s sleep – If you are trying to lose weight without the gym, then the secret could be in your sleep. It is recommended to get around seven to eight hours of sleep as sleep can help to speed up your metabolism and lead to natural weight loss. A lack of sleep can cause hormonal imbalances, which can make you feel hungry even when you don’t have to eat.
A simple lifestyle habit can help you lose weight, and it need not have anything with conventional diet or exercise plans. A few simple changes can have a massive impact on your weight over the long term.