During the Ancient Egyptians and Greeks, essential oils have been used for religious and medicinal purposes. In World War 1, French soldiers who were returning home were given aromatherapy to treat their wounds as well as reducing anxiety and the PTSD from the battle. It was in the 1950s that holistic aromatherapy was adopted and today, essential oils are prevalent almost everywhere. Aromatherapy massage is used for different reasons, including relaxation, pain management, and improved mood. There are numerous health benefits of aromatherapy that includes its ability to reduce anxiety, ease depression, boost energy levels, speed up the healing process, eliminate headaches, boost cognitive performance, induce sleep, strengthen the immune system, reduce pain, improve digestion, and increase circulation. Aromatherapy massage is now widely prevalent everywhere around the world and it is often compared to the Swedish massage but with scent. Here are the benefits of aromatherapy massage that will make you want to have one as soon as possible!
1. Better circulation – During an aromatherapy massage, the parts of the body are gently manipulated as it increases blood flow to the muscles and vital organs. The aromatherapy massage enhances the flow of blood through the absorption of oils through the skin and into the bloodstream. Cypress, frankincense, grapefruit, juniper berry, and sandalwood are some of the essential oils that can be used to encourage circulation and strengthen capillaries.
2. Reduce anxiety – This massage calms the senses and induces relaxation. According to a study by the University of Maryland Medical Center, aromatherapy massage diminishes anxiety levels by stimulating the release of endorphins. Once released the body’s natural painkillers and stress reduction hormones get to work and you feel better. Rosewood, sandalwood, and vanilla are some of the essential oils that are used in aromatherapy massage.
3. Enhances mental awareness – Your body activates its olfactory nerves in the brain by the scents of essential oils and stimulation of a massage. It amplifies serotonin production and enhances a person’s mental capacity to react to other things that will induce the brain to be content. The essential oils used to enhance mental awareness is juniper berry, sage, and vetiver.
4. Relief from headaches – If you are someone who suffers from constant headaches and you don’t know what to do and painkillers are your worst enemies. Then aromatherapy massage is for you as it can help you in finding relief with the use of peppermint and ylang ylang essential oils.
5. PMS relief – Each month, millions of women are in pain with the premenstrual syndrome that plagues them in being bloated, feeling tired, and sensitive to pain. Well, luckily PMS effects are known to be eliminated through an aromatherapy massage. Birch, jasmine, and patchouli are used to treat PMS symptoms.
6. Restful sleep – Aromatherapy massage is recommended if you are somehow insomniac as it has calming effects. If you really need to that restful sleep, then get an aromatherapy massage at Easeland in Melbourne, CBD. They use essential oils such as lavender, marjoram, and spikenard, to help you have a peaceful sleep.
7. Toxin removal – Toxins are eliminated through the gentle manipulation of the body along with the purifying scents of essential oils that encourage the lymphatic drainage. Lemongrass and myrtle are the essential oils that are helpful in toxin removals.
8. Helps in relaxation – Aromatherapy massage helps in relaxing your tense muscles. It helps boost your immune system and also detoxify your body. The massage concentrates on areas such as the feet, legs, wrist and temples. The commonly used essential oils for relaxing are lavender, eucalyptus, ylang ylang, peppermint, cedarwood and lemongrass.
9. Helps with depression symptoms – As one of the most misunderstood mental illnesses, depression takes more lives everyday than anything else. Depression can cause significant neurobiological consequences that can affect the brain. That is why aromatherapy massage helps with depression as their level of dopamine and serotonin are low. These are levelled up with the scent of essential oils such as bergamot, lavender, ylang ylang, basil, tangerine, grapefruit and more. These oils activate your brain through your scent receptors and your body will be triggered to produce more dopamine and serotonin. Though the aromatherapy massage can take time, it is an alternative to help see the positive change in someone who is going through depression.
10. Improves productivity – As you know that aromatherapy can improve your mood, it has also been proven that it can affect your productivity. According to Japanese-funded research, the effects of fragrances can improve your productivity at work as certain scents such as lemon, jasmine and lavender result in less typing errors from the employees. There is a calming effect of the essential oils that contribute to productivity and you feel less stressed and get more ideas in your head. Turns out that you feel more motivated to work better.
If you are interested in any massage, then head to Easeland in Melbourne CBD. As a reputable and professional massage salon, you can expect quality services at an affordable price. They use premium quality products such as Jurilque Essential Oil and Estée Lauder so that you get the best of the best.