One of the most widely used and versatile herbs we’ve known, lavender is considered a member of the Labiatae Family which includes mint. Lavender has its origins from different parts of the world. Earlier lavender flowers were used to treat digestive problems, insomnia, anxiety, and restlessness. Well, even today lavender essential oil is used in much of the same ways as it was earlier and for more reasons.
- Reduce stress and anxiety: The soothing and calming scent of lavender is one of the most effective to reduce stress and anxiety. It is known to help reduce nervous tension, depression, restlessness, and nervous exhaustion. To soothe symptoms of anxiety, you can diffuse lavender essential oil at home or apply a few drops behind your ears and relax.
- Relieves headaches: Lavender is one of the most effective essential oils to help relieve headaches and migraines because of its ability to reduce tension and induce relaxation. Simply inhale from the bottle, diffuse and apply a few drops behind your neck and on your temples for a natural headache remedy.
- Support brain function: Lavender essential oil has neuroprotective properties that can support brain function and is known to protect against dementia and assist recovery from stroke. Lavender essential oil also has the ability to reduce depression and boost mood. Inhale, diffuse or apply topically to support brain function.
- Promotes sleep: Because of its calming, soothing and sedative properties, lavender is one of the best essential oil to promote sleep and reduce insomnia. To improve sleep, diffuse lavender essential oil before going to bed. You can also massage a few drops on your neck, chest, and temples. Alternatively, you can add 15 drops of lavender oil to your bath to promote relaxation and deep sleep.
- Pain relief: Lavender essential oil can act as an effective painkiller for a variety of conditions including headaches, skin inflammation, muscle soreness, menstrual cramps, and stomach pains. To alleviate pain symptoms, simply massage 3-5 drops of lavender essential oil to the affected area.
- Treat skin conditions: Because of its powerful antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, lavender essential oil is highly regarded when it comes to skincare. It has been shown to help heal wounds, cuts, and burns as well as treating various skin conditions such as eczema, irritations, acne, and age spots. It removes impurities and helps the regeneration of skin cells. Mix a few drops with your favorite carrier oil and apply directly onto the skin. You can also mix a few drops of Lavender and Frankincense essential oils in your carrier oil as a natural moisturizer.
- Respiratory issues: Lavender essential oil is great to relieve symptoms of colds, flues, cough, bronchitis and other throat infections. The oil is known to reduce phlegm and congestion due to its antibacterial properties. Simply apply 3-5 drops to your chest, neck or back or mix in your favorite carrier oil for larger areas. You can also diffuse at home and add a few drops to a hot bath.